CANADA NEWS: Ontario Canada goes on a nationwide ban since December 26

Ontario has seven straight days of more than 2,000 cases a day. Modeling shows more than doubled in January. Health officials have previously said that a severe four-to-six-week closure could significantly halt the spread of Covid-19.

Ontario on Monday announced the closure of the entire province due to the second Covid-19 wave in the most populous province in Canada.

The roadblock will be set up in southern Ontario from December 26 to January 23, but will move up north Ontario on January 9. Health workers have criticized the delay, with one infectious disease doctor saying it was ridiculous to wait until Christmas day. to close.

Ontario has seven straight days of more than 2,000 cases a day. Modeling shows more than doubled in January. Health officials have previously said that a severe four-to-six-week closure could significantly halt the spread of Covid-19.

Toronto, Canada’s largest city, had already closed its restaurants and schools but schools were still open. All high schools in Ontario will now be closed for private study until January 25. The first schools will be closed until January 11.

After Covid-19 cases rose in the spring, Canada softened the epidemic with a lockdown. But as in other countries, Covid’s fatigue began, restrictions were reduced and a second wave emerged.

“We’ve slept down the curve before and we can’t do it again,” said Health Minister Christine Elliott.

Dr Barbara Yaffe, Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health, said Ontario was in a very serious and dangerous state.

“There is an outbreak wherever people gather,” Yaffe said.

Ontario Prime Minister Doug Ford said the delay until December 26 would allow businesses outside of the current locker areas to be ready. He said it allows restaurants to sell some of their listings.

“I don’t have anything,” said Ford. “I have to do justice to these very busy businesses.” Dr Andrew Morris, a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Toronto and medical director of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program at the Sinai-University Health Network, said Ford prioritizes the economy more than health by delays.

“He’s funny. It costs lives. Why ?! “said Morris.

The Ontario Hospital Association said in a statement that it was “surprised and disappointed” that the closure would not happen for another five days. “People across the province need clear public health communication, and the December 26 launch date sends a confusing message of what they should and should not do in this critical time. “We are currently hearing from hospital and health system leaders that they are worried that the restrictions will not come into effect until after Christmas,” the party’s president, Anthony Dale, said in a statement.

Dr Naveed Mohammad, chief executive officer of the William Osler Health System who works at hospitals in the Toronto suburb, said people needed to pretend the strike had begun.

“Until the people of this province see what each trip takes them and their loved ones home, we will not go beyond this,” he said, noting that Brampton, Ontario, hospitals are facing a huge volume. “Please stay home, starting today.”

Recent Articles

Related Stories

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Subscribe Us Get the daily news in your inbox