Chicago shooting at home funeral home sends out at least 15 hospitals
“We thought it was a war here,” said another witness
Chicago police are holding a press conference on a mass shooting in the city’s South Side
Chicago police are searching for suspects early Wednesday who fled in several ways after several people were shot dead at a city funeral home.
The gunfire – which intensifies the violence in the third-largest city – has left at least 15 people injured in a drawing of the city’s leaders, who have turned to President Trump’s call for a major metropolitan national intervention.
Authorities said one interested person had been interviewed, but no arrests had been made.
“All we have seen is bodies placed everywhere,” witness Arnita Gerder told WMAQ-TV in Chicago. “Hit everywhere, everywhere. Legs, abdomen, back, everywhere. We thought it was a war here.”
“All we saw was just corpses … shot everywhere, everywhere. Legs, abdomen, back, all over this place. We thought it was a war here.”
GIULIANI, KERIK CRITICIZE CHICAGO Mayor AFTER THE MASS SHOOTING INCIDENT
The SUV was traveling on the 79th lane around 6:30 p.m. local time when people inside the car opened up crying outside the funeral home, Chicago Police First Deputy Superintendent Supt. Eric Carter told reporters during a press conference.
Some of the mourners then returned to the car, which ran away before colliding with a short distance. People inside the car fled in several directions, Carter said.
Former Chicago PD boss: You can’t rely on peaceful protests
Former Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy responds to violent clashes between police and protesters.
Police had been interviewing one interested person but reported that no arrests had been made and that the identity of the shooters was unknown immediately. The victims – all adults – were rushed to five different hospitals. At least nine have been listed on the worst list, the Chicago Fire Department told reporters.
The injured included at least four women between the ages of 24 and 38, one of whom was shot in the chest, police said. Other victims include a 40-year-old man who was beaten in the chest, upper arm and arm. Two men, aged 32 and 22, were shot in the hand.
The interviewee was not injured, according to Carter. No further details about the victims are available.
Police said the incident took place at the funeral home of a man who was shot last week in the Englewood area of Chicago.
The man, who was killed on July 14, was identified as Donnie Weathersby, Chicago’s WBBM-TV, cited unnamed sources. The attack outside the funeral home was the site of a massacre, the report said.
CHICAGO POLICE RELEASED BY PURCHASE: REPORT
A police car was assigned to the funeral home as a precautionary measure due to the size of the gathering, Carter said. Police were unaware of any warnings from public activists that the funeral home could be a hotbed of potential problems.
Sixty shell shots were found
Police found a shell in the scene. It was not immediately clear when the two groups first met before the shooting or whether the gun was related to a criminal.
“We saw a car with six bullet holes in it and it turned to look like grass lost. We saw a hat on the ground and it was obviously his,” Kenneth Hughes, telling the Media.
Gerder and Hughes told the station that everyone who was shot looked white.
Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot called the shooting “another senseless tragedy,” on Twitter on Tuesday. He said police needed evidence and available teams would provide services for the exploitation of helpers and victims.
“Too many people have been traumatized. Too many people have gone to funerals and tried to start a process of healing the whole community following another senseless tragedy. If someone takes a gun, we suffer.