WASHINGTON, Feb 11 – A U.S. congressional committee has investigated former President Donald Trump’s handling of White House records after 15 boxes of documents transferred to his Florida resort were taken to a government agency, including whether the information included confidential information, the panel chairman said. said Thursday.
The chairperson of the House of Representatives Oversight Committee, Carolyn Maloney, said in a statement that she was “deeply concerned” that the records were not immediately distributed to the National Archives at the end of Trump’s term in January 2021 and that “it appears to have been removed from the White House.”
Maloney, a Democrat, has also expressed concern over US media reports that Trump has “repeatedly tried to destroy presidential records, which could be a serious violation” of the law, which requires the preservation of written communications related to the president’s official activities.
A recent letter by New York Times correspondent Maggie Haberman said workers had found documents closing Trump’s toilet in the White House during his tenure – an account the former president of the Republic in a statement called “a blatant lie.”
“White House staff from time to time found the toilet closed” and found “pieces of folded, wet printed paper … either notes or other paper they believed he had thrown down the toilet” in his bathroom. , Haberman told CNN, adding that it was not clear what types of documents were found.
In a statement, Trump acknowledged that record boxes had been sent to the Archive after negotiations he called jointly. Trump said he was told he was “not obliged” to give any White House property, although he did not say who gave him the order, which was illegal.
“The papers were handed out easily and without conflict and very friendly,” Trump said.
The Washington Post reported Wednesday that the National Archives and Records Administration, an organization that oversees state records, has asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate Trump’s handling of White House records.
The Department of Justice did not respond to a request for comment. The National Archives said it would not comment on any possible or ongoing investigation.
In a statement Thursday, the Post, citing two unnamed individuals familiar with the matter, said some of the documents Trump took to his Florida resort were clearly marked as separate, including “high-level” high-level documents.
Archive in a statement on Monday said it planned to transfer 15 boxes of commemorations, letters and other documents from Trump’s private property in Florida in mid-January, a month after Trump’s representative reported receiving them.
Archive also said it had worked with Trump’s representatives last year to obtain presidential records that had not been transferred to the party.
Maloney said he asked the Archive if he checked them and found any documents separated in 15 boxes, whether he knew of any other missing records from Trump’s administration and whether he had notified the U.S. attorney general. He also questioned whether Archives was aware of any records that Trump had destroyed without his consent, as well as any actions to retrieve or retain them, prompting the agency until February 18 to respond.