WASHINGTON, March 29 – White House records show a gap of more than seven hours on the phone of former President Donald Trump on the day of the US Capitol, Washington Post and CBS attacks. on Tuesday.
Woods turned on the House panel investigating the attack showed no calls for Trump between 11:17 am and 6:54 p.m. while his supporters are up in arms over the Capitol as lawmakers will confirm Trump’s loss in the 2020 election, media reported.
Eleven pages of records provided by lawmakers show that Trump spoke with at least eight people by telephone before the gap and 11 after that, the Post and CBS reported.
Representatives of the committee and Trump were not immediately available for comment.
A comprehensive public report also quotes several conversations Trump had with Jan. 6 co-operatives and lawmakers, prompting lawmakers to investigate whether he communicated that day through illegal channels, the report said, citing two people familiar with the conference’s investigation.
House leader Kevin McCarthy last year described speaking to his Republican counterpart during the unrest, saying he had urged the president to withdraw his supporters and accept his defeat.
“I was very clear to the president when I called him,” McCarthy told CBS at the time. “This must stop, and he must go to the American community and tell them to stop this.”
The New York Times reported on Tuesday that congressional investigators and party prosecutors focused on Trump’s Tweet on December 19, 2020 in which he urged supporters to travel to Washington on January 6, saying “it would be a waste.”
The House of Representatives on Monday voted unanimously to demand “contempt of Congress” charges against Paul Navarro, a former Trump business adviser, and Daniel Scavino, a former deputy Trump administration official.